It was in the year 1915 that Mr. Saboor Chatoor of Bombay, came to Colombo and founded Saboor Chatoor and Company with limited financial resources.

Saboor Chatoor and Company initially started importing commodities from India. With gradual growth over the 1920’s and 30’s, exports to India and European markets commenced.

Due to the Second World War, business operations were disrupted. With the war ending in 1945, the Company concentrated on the export of spices. By late 1940’s, Saboor Chatoor & Co. became large exporters of all types of agricultural products, especially spices.

As the business grew, Saboor Chatoor & Co. was registered as a partnership in 1949. In 1956 it was incorporated as a private company under the name and style of Saboor Chatoor & Co. Ltd.

In 1980, the Company moved to a developing neighbourhood where it built a complex with extensive warehousing facilities. This Office and storage complex comprise approximately two acres ( 8094 sq. meters).

With the change in company law, the name was changed to Saboor Chatoor (Private) Ltd in 2008.

The present Chairman of Saboor Chatoor (Private) Ltd., Mr. Gulam Chatoor is also the founder Chairman of the Spices and Allied Products, Producers’ and Traders’ Association (SAPPTA). He continues to serve on the SAPPTA Committee of Management. Mr Gulam Chatoor is also a spokesman of the spice industry while being very often consulted by the Government of Sri Lanka on matters relating to all exports.

 

 

Return to Homepage
 

  Saboor Chatoor (Private) Limited  
 
Copyright © Saboor Chatoor (Private) Limited 2008, All Rights Reserved.